Lentil and Vegetable SoupCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
Low GI, gluten free and low in saturated fat
2 cups brown lentils
2 litres water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 soup pack
1 tbsp garlic, diced
1 x 375 g can diced tomatoes
2 small sprigs rosemary
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar (optional)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Place the lentils in a sieve and pick them over to check for impurities.
- Rinse them under cold, running water.
- Place in a large saucepan with the water and bring slowly to the boil.
- Heat the oil in the frypan.
- Add the diced vegetables and garlic and cook gently until they have softened but not coloured.
- Add these to saucepan with the diced tomatoes, with their liquid, and rosemary.
- Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until the soup is thick, about 15 minutes or more-do not stir the soup during the cooking time or the lentils will stick to the saucepan.
- Discard the rosemary and add the seasoning and the vinegar to taste.
- A scatter of parsley makes a nice finish.